|Name||Marion County Historical Society Museum at Heritage Hall
169 East Church StreetMarion Ohio 43302
|Brief Description||W. G.Harding Presidential collection, Wyandot Popcorn Museum
|Description||Visit the War & Peace: 1812 to 1860 exhibit now on display at Heritage Hall!
What involvement did our early settlers have in the War of 1812? How did pioneers live in central Ohio? This exhibit is open from March through December of 2012 at Heritage Hall, 169 E. Church St. Marion, Ohio. Visit us and learn more about local folks who made an impact in the progress and development of Marion County.
As usual, Marion County Historical Society members get in free! Heritage Hall, the Marion County Historical Society museum is open Saturday and Sundays 1-4 PM November, December, March and April and open 1-4 PM Wednesday through Sunday from May -October. Open by appointment only through January and February. Call 740-387-4255 for more information or to schedule a tour.
The Marion County Historical Society (MCHS), nurtures interest in local history through publishing, lectures, special events, children’s programming and the operation of The Marion County Historical Society Museum located in Marion’s “Old Post Office,” renamed “Heritage Hall” and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Society’s collections which include artifacts, documents, and photographs, are used in exhibitions and programs which enhance understanding of Marion County’s rich history, from prehistoric times to the present day. MCHS’s Harding Presidential Collections chronicle the life and career of Warren G. Harding of Marion, 29th President of the United States.
Also in Heritage Hall:
Rinker/Howser Resource Center
The Marion County Historical Society and the Marion Area Genealogy Society jointly operate the Rinker/Howser Resource Center, a research facility for Marion County and Ohio history. Resources include books, manuscripts, family histories, bound Marion newspapers, videos, audiotapes and Family Tree Maker software.
Wyandot Popcorn Museum
The largest collection of popcorn wagons and machines in the United States. These priceless wagons, restored to their original condition, date back as far as the turn of the century. The Wyandot Popcorn Museum holds the same hours and prices as Heritage Hall. Call 740-387-4255 for more info and or to set up a tour.
Heritage Hall gift shop
We offer publications focusing on Marion County history, popcorn related items and locally produced products as well as Marion and Ohio souvenirs.
Other attractions owned by the Marion County Historical Society
The Linn School, built in 1897, had fallen into decay when it was rescued and restored through the partnership of 2 brothers, Oliver and Merle Hamilton along with The Marion County Historical Society and Quality Masonry Company, Inc. of Marion.
Now open to the public, the building is much the same as it was when the Hamilton brothers attended classes there from 1909 to 1917. Linn School is open to the public from 1-4 the 1st and 3rd weekends or the month from May-October and by appointment. The Linn School is located north of Marion at 2481 Marion-Bucyrus Road (State Route 4). Call 740-387-4255 for tour information.
Log Cabin & Smokehouse
The log cabin, donated by the Carl Seiter family to the Marion County Historical Society was constructed in 1851 and relocated to the Marion County Fairgrounds.
Trella Romine Prairie Preserve
This prairie remnant, once a railbed along the Scioto, is available for visiting year round dawn to dusk. Located near the intersection of ST. Rts. 203 and 739 near Greencamp OH.
|Phone 1||(740) 387-4255
|Time Allowance||1-2 hours
|Request Brochure||Marion Visitor Guide, Heritage Hall & Linn School Brochure
|Tell a Friend||
|Add Marion County Historical Society Museum at Heritage Hall to your free online travel itinerary.